10 step guide to attaining positive wealth
So you’d like to make money? How much? Will you be happy with a million? If you have a million, will you be happy, or will you want two? Well how about if you get two million, will you be happy with two, or wouldn’t you rather get four now?
A Readers Digest article, quoted a study, that people making $25.000.00, $50.000.00 and $75.000.00, were all asked, “How much more money do you need to be happy,” well they all said $25.000.00. So it seems, to be happy, you need another $25.000.00! no matter how many of them you already have!
The truth is, there is nothing wrong with having money. Money can be a very good thing, in that, firstly, it buys peace of mind [money that creates distress obviously is counterproductive] Secondly it allows you to do good. As religious Jews would say, to “glorify” the Mitzvos / commandments. I.e. you could spend more money on your children spiritual education, you could buy more spiritual books etc. And lastly, money enables you to do the ultimate good – helping out those who need it!
On the other hand, the sages teach, that “He who desires money is never satisfied by it” for as they state, that “everyone always desires to double the amount they already have.” [How many rich people stop trying to make more?]
So money can be a great curse – I humbly posit, that it all depends: who is leading whom. If you lead the dog, it can be quite a nice excursion, but if the dog is dragging you, then it can be rather unpleasant. Another way of looking at it – coming from Rabbi Menachem Schneersohn, the greatest Jewish leader in modern times is – “Are you becoming enslaved to materialism?” For example – and I have no idea how she knew this [“kids say the darnest things”] – we were discussing the worldwide rescission at my dinner table and my six year old daughter pipes up “People bought things that were too expensive for them.” This summed up the cause of the rescission succinctly. In other words, people had their basics, but then through buying second homes, actually enslaved themselves to meet those payments – eventually not only losing their second home, but more importantly – destroying their quality of life. In other words, instead of having peace of mind – which is the main benefit of money, they in fact lost their peace of mind, by being forced into making onerous repayments!
Now I am not a communist – and communism has proven itself to be a draconian evil enterprise, nonetheless, in our Synagogue, the Rabbi put in a little quote from good ol’ Karl Marx which was quite prophetic indeed. [It seems, he was at the very leas,t aware of the pitfalls of capitalism.] In it he wrote, that eventually governments would be forced to take over capital, because private banks would ‘force’ people into larger and larger loans, which they would be unable to repay, which pretty succinctly summed up America’s recession.
So in other words, firstly we need to gain control. To allow a number, to be in control of you – G-d’s finest creation – would be, like allowing the dog to drag you, wherever it wants to go, which is neither a benefit for you nor the dog.
As you can tell, Judaism views money – as all objects [or most objects] in this world, as being inherently neutral, i.e. it has the potential for destruction or great benefit. For example, a young girl once asked Rabbi Schneersohn, if nuclear power was good or bad? He replied with an example anyone can comprehend, that it is like saying “if a knife is good or bad?” it all depends on how you use it. So the very first thing we need to do, is gain self-control. [I have written a booklet entitled Achieving Self-Control.] I cannot teach you self-control in this booklet, however without it, I would strongly recommend that you don’t even try to make money, for its ability to corrupt, is stronger than its ability to benefit those who lack self-control. I once told a wealthy man about someone who lost his money, and he replied “A fool and his money part easily.”
Well this booklet is actually about helping you gain money – it’s just that I needed to share with you a VERY STRONG WARNING: I.E. YOU NEED TO HAVE SELF-CONTROL BEFORE YOU HAVE IT.
Now I will share with you 10 Kabbalsitic / Judaic formulas for achieving wealth. To begin with, one must realize that everything comes from G-d. Every penny you will every earn is decided in Heaven. Furthermore, whether that penny will be in your interest or is actually a curse – say preventing some other blessing, say Heaven, is also decided in Heaven.
So rule number one – and this is perhaps the hardest rule – do not think you make money! There are many millionaires who no matter what they do, lose their money and for a period of time cannot regain it. On the other hand, there are absolute fools [Forest Gump:)] who somehow manage to make it big-time. So money is determined in Heaven. Now the heaven system works – primarily – as a trust system i.e. you get from whom you trust. If you think that your boss will make you rich, then G-d always that to be your destiny. If on the other hand – and I guarantee this – you genuinely [and I mean without a shadow of a doubt] believe that G-d, your loving Father in Heaven will make you rich, then that will happen.
Generally speaking, for there are many who are currently just only too happy to just make it: Pray to G-d and then trust that He will answer your prayers. [I also recommend reading my booklet Kabbalah Love (the first two chapters on this technique.)]
So rule number one is realize [again, quite challenging] that money is decided by G-d. Nothing that happens in this world is random. G-d’s destiny rules everything! however, the more you trust in G-d’s destiny, the more favorable it becomes.
2. “Hand over your troubles to G-d and he will carry it.” So says the prophet [I don’t know where.] This is a quote very often quoted by the great Rabbi Schneersohn and it really does work. Say to G-d “Dear Lor-d I need your help!” Then pretend to take you package of problems and hand them over to Him. You will be astonished at the results. However don’t be like the Jerusalemite [in a joke] who requested a parking space from G-d in order to get into an important business meeting – having circled the block for thirty minutes – “G-d, if you find me a parking space I will give you half my income from this deal.” Immediately someone pulls out and this man turns his eyes heavenward and says “Don’t worry about it G-d, I already found one!” If this does work – do not think that suddenly it was your brains [because remember, the trust system works, that you get from whom you trust – so if you’re so smart G-d will leave the rest in your hands and if you were in a pickle in the beginning…] Make sure that every morning you thank G-d profusely for the assistance he gave you. It seems to me that we often become arrogant or perhaps complacent when things are working for us. But the same G-d that makes it work can make it fail. It is very important that you should consciously be grateful, for this will ensure the continuation of your benefit!
3. The following is a well known Jewish ploy and in fact, it is the only time that G-d actually states in the prophets “You may test me on this.” Many Jewish billionaires and millionaires swear by it. The holy Chida, a great Kabbalist writes, that when you make G-d a partner in your business, you bring his blessing with it. So what you need to do is offer G-d one of the following three incentives: ten percent, twenty percent, or everything [of course taking care of your own bills first.] In other words – commonly called tithe – be sure, that you calculate at least ten percent of your income and give tithe. Now you may think that “I am doing badly, can I really afford to tithe.” Can you afford not to?! In a letter, the Rebbe [Rabbi Schneersohn] writes to a businessman [who requested advice – tens of thousands would] “You should know, that there are accusatory angels in heaven saying to G-d that you will decrease your charitable contributions in your difficulties, while G-d is waiting to prove to them that you will maintain and even increase them!” So quite simply speaking, give ten, twenty, or even everything [everything is when you value your soul more than you body! and the desire to help others is greater than the desire to be known as rich.]
4. Honor your wife. The truth is, that all of your wealth comes as a result of your wife! We see this quite clearly, that somehow after people marry, their financial situation improves [i.e. income-wise, not spending-wise.] I was the Rabbi of a resort town with over ten thousand, primarily wealthy Jews, visiting. I once asked myself, if I could see the common-denominator between the wealthy people, and the one that I could find, was that they cherished [or made their wives to feel cherished i.e. they honored] their wives.
5. Increase in your acts of goodness and kindness [or for a Jew or gentile to undertake to be more observant of the commandments G-d gives them, i.e. the 613 Mitzvos or seven Noahide laws, see www.chabad.org and do a search for more details on this;] Every good deed is a new aperture in the Divine blessings G-d is “enabled” to give you.
6. Be happy! In fact according to Judaism, this is perhaps one of the greatest, if not the greatest, ability to bring blessing! In order to bring happiness into your life, the method is explained by the holy Baal Shem Tov, founder of what can be called modern Jewish mysticism, to always see good! So henceforth, train yourself to always, always! see good in the world and in people. In fact, in my humble estimation, this is why Warren Buffet is so wealthy, Because He Is So Happy. In other words, he is not happy because he is wealthy, rather, is wealthy because he is happy!
7. Another important point and this relates more to what can block, but more importantly, to what can bless: Harmony! Ultimately this is G-d’s keenest desire, that all his children get along! The more harmony you create in your family – usefully through following step 6 – the more will you enable G-d’s blessing [i.e., perhaps He has already blessed you! but a lack of harmony causes a spiritual, hence physical, blockage, so ] the more harmony the greater the blessings!
8. The next important point and again, this is more about what can block, but also importantly about what can bless and that is ethics. If a person is not ethical in business, although it may seem he is making a quick-buck I can almost guarantee he will lost it all later in life, and he will never regain it, and will end up a destroyed person; [for “how you treat others is how you get treated by G-d.”] An important point of Jewish ethics [and a Jew can read the section of Jewish laws called Choshen Mishpat in the code of Jewish laws which has been translated or can ask a competent Orthodox Rabbi for guidance] is that the “law of the land is law.” In other words, one may not cheat another, and one must uphold the ethics of the country, [now many people find loopholes in the law to do some draconian practices – in addition according to Judaism, one may not destroy another person’s business; so for example, the Arab practice of buying out energy companies that will detract from their business, then shutting them down is wrong.] The bottom line is, one must understand what are the local country’s business ethics and abide by it, as well as being compassionate in one’s dealings.
9. Another very important point is, how one treats employees. G-d is very sensitive to the oppressed. The story is told of a great Rabbi who was also a wealthy industrialist and he once came to the holy Ari [one of the greatest Kabbalists] and asked him if there was anything wrong with him. At first, the Ari demurred, preferring not to reply, however, on this man’s insistence he said, “I see on your face a sign of theft.” This great Rabbi couldn’t fathom who he would have ripped off. But he did the following, he gathered all his employees and put a heap of money on the table and said, “If I have ever not paid any of you the appropriate wages, you are welcome to take money, and I guarantee that I will not inquire after it.” One elderly weaver came and took two coins. This story is very profound. It is easy to see your own desires, but hard to see, how much the employees need you.
10. Last but not least, and again, this relates more to what can block and that is anxiety. Now it is very hard to tell someone, not to worry about money, or even their investments, but as popularized in The Secret and as confirmed [and predated] in Judaism, the law of attraction is real! In other words – in fact, Job was very wealthy, but unfortunately lost it all, and one of his faults was incessant worry. One must totally banish anxiety from their heads, and not only anxiety about money, anxiety in general! Again I recommend you read my book, Kabbalah Love for tips on this and I remind you to reread and more importantly practice steps, 1, 2, and 6, for all of these will help you become less anxious. There really are not enough words to emphasize this point. Anxiety can be detrimental to your bottom line! I will give you another practical tip, that will help you have less anxiety, and gain happiness, and that is that as soon as you wake up in the morning you should thank – the good Lor-d for all of the blessings! A step I recommend in Kabbalah Love, is to make a list of all the things you would miss if you didn’t have them: now read this list immediately, as soon as you wake up! This is very important, because according to Kabbalah [and as seen empirically] the first thought, speech, and action, influences all the subsequent thoughts, speech, and actions throughout the entire day. So don’t wake up on the wrong side of the bed. As soon as you awaken – try do to this, literally as soon as you are consciously awake [for this is the transition between the soul’s heavenly and earthly reality, i.e. going from where it is in heaven during sleep into the mind when you wake up, so] read your list and be grateful for everything you have! [Additionally it helps to think of people – or even imagine people – who don’t have these blessings, for we tend to be blasé about what we have, when we think it is the norm.]
PS A few more tips from Jewish Mysticism:
- Send your [Jewish] name, and father’s, [if Jewish your mothers,] to Rebbe@ohel .org. This is the mausoleum of Rabbi Schneersohn were millions of people are sending requests for blessings and literally thousands of miracles a day are occurring – as He is the spirit of our generation and like Moses, intercedes [and he has an in] to G-d, on your behalf.
- Ask your wife for advice – contrary to what you think your wife has your best interest at heart – she is closest to you – and understands you probably better than yourself, and it is also in her interest that you should make money.
- Additionally although tens of thousands of people would ask the Rebbe for financial advice, the legacy he left us – knowing he wouldn’t be able to help everyone – is, to ask a friend in business. It would appear to me, that by using the Rebbe’s method, one gains the wisdom of G-d, despite the fact the business friend is not.
Your Personal Professional Development
- How to transform past pain into future gain
- How to forgive and forward march
- How to energize yourself through purpose and meaning
- Writing Transformations
- Personal Mind Control
Also available for corporate